2011 Family Video

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I gradutated!

...... from Wilton's cake decorating courses I & III. Last year for Dylan's 3rd birthday I decided to try my hand at cake decorating with fondant. It is amazing what you can learn in a year :) I was completely self taught until this summer when I enrolled in a Wilton's class through Michaels. I still have more classes to go, and much more to learn... but I have thoroughly enjoyed the process thus far. It is a lot of work, but definitely worth it. Here are a couple pictures of my final. (Yes everything (including the roses) are edible and handmade out of fondant.


5 comments:

Anna R said...

Wow! Rachell that is absolutely beautiful...You've always been artistically talented but WOW!!
It's even more amazing when it's something edible. lol.

Does it taste as good as it looks?
(I'm guessing it does!)
'Cause you could definitely get some gigs doing wedding cakes!!

kenders said...

Great job! I didn't know you were into cakes. I don't know that I would have patience for it. :) And I agree, you could totally get gigs doing cakes.

Tara said...

wow! they all look so great!!!! you are professional and congrats on the graduation! when can we see you guys again? miss ya!

PJ and Rachell said...

Thank YOU ;) I actually didn't get to taste test this one... I sent it to work with Jennifer. According to her it got rave reviews on flavor too :) It took an insane amount of time... baking... the frosting... the fillings... making the roses is a step by step process(you have to let them dry in between) and then the freehand on the bottom layer and the "lace" on the top-- It was totally worth it, but I really hope that next time I will be able to shorten my time spent on each task. I would love to do cakes (wedding/birthdays ect) I've thought about putting an ad on Craigslist but haven't done it yet. I have 3 more cakes in the next 3 weeks-two birthday and one baby shower so once I get those added to my portfolio maybe I'll do it.-- Thanks again for the compliments... When I look at the pictures it is hard to believe I actually did that :)

pianogirl said...

Absolutely incredible! What a talent. You are amazing. We miss you guys. It's been forever. Glad to see things are going well.
The Buhlmans