2011 Family Video

Friday, June 19, 2009

Saying goodbye...

On Wednesday we said goodbye to a dear friend that has been a very important part of our family for the past 2 years and 3 months.





.... Peyton's beloved Binky







We went on a scavenger hunt throughout the house and collected all of his binkies and put them in a ziploc bag. When PJ got home we headed out to Target. Peyton was SO excited to use his binkies to buy this...







He has wanted this CD for a few months... but I told him that we needed to wait for something special and then we could come back and get it. So, when I asked him if he would want to trade his binkies for the new Mover's CD he was all about it. Might I mention how much he LOVES his binkies. I tried explaining this meant his binkies would be ALL gone, and I think he understood as much as he could. We went to Target, he picked out his CD, we got a couple other things, and then went to the register. PJ prepped the cashier and Peyton confidently handed over his little bag of binkies to "pay" for his new Mover's CD. He was amazing, I thought, maybe this won't be so bad after all. Then came bedtime. Yes, he cried, and cried, and cried. He normally likes to cuddle... but didn't want me to even rub his back. He kept asking to get his binkies back. He told me, "I am crying because I want my binkies... I am upset mommy". Well, we made it through night one- with a few wakings, and crying... :( But I am happy to report that last night was MUCH better. He only woke up one time, we cuddled for a few minutes, he went back to sleep and then woke up about 6:30am for the morning. Perhaps a little earlier than I would like, but I'll take it if he can learn to sleep through the night :)


I am optimistic that tonight will be even better (fingers crossed)


And he LOVES his new CD- we came home from Costco yesterday and I turned on his CD while I unloaded the car... I looked over and found him on top of our ottoman with his baseball tee (using it as a microphone) and his baseball bat (aka his guitar) and he was rocking out to his new CD :)

2 comments:

The Shepherd Family said...

That is too cute. I might just try that method to get rid of Landon's "meemee"/binki...I started to try weening him off of it by only allowing him to have it at nap time and night time, and then he got sick and it was seriously the only thing that made him feel better....

PJ and Rachell said...

Yeah, I think you have to take it away gradually. I had pretty much limited his binky time to nap, night time, church and the car. It all started because Peyton hasn't been sleeping through the night... he would wake up crying because he couldn't find his binky. One day PJ said that he didn't think Peyton was going to sleep through the night until he was done with his binky... well, after 4 1/2 years(actually probably longer, because I totally didn't sleep through the night while I was pregnant) of not sleeping... I started thinking about all of the different ways I had heard about people getting rid of binkies. I decided the binky fairy wouldn't work for Peyton... and decided that definitely they had to be gone, and it had to be his choice. And really, it has to be the right time for you. I was just ready-- and Peyton is able to communicate really well, so I knew he could understand what was going on. The first night was really rough, but today for his nap-- totally didn't even ask for a binky. So, I am hopeful that he will sleep through the night soon. He really wants to because when he does we are going to let him pick out one of the "my hero" books from the church bookstore. We have the first one, and seriously I read it at least once a day :)
Good luck for when you decide :) Just make sure it is the right time for you guys... also, I've heard of some kids that just lose interest in their binky... so Landon might surprise you.